Florinef, Prednisone and Percorten side effectsPosted: July 31, 2009
Our Addison’s dog, Shakti had been on her Addison’s meds for about six months when her hair started falling out. We since found out that it was most probably due to too much prednisone. This article lists Percorten side effects, Florinef side effects and prednisone side effects. If your pet is experiencing any of these side effects, the dosage or interval of the drugs may need to be reduced.
PERCORTEN Side Effects
- Hypernatremia (electrolyte disturbances)
- Hypokalemia (low blood potassium)
- Polyuria (excessive urination)
- Polydipsia (excessive thirst)
- Increased blood volume
- Edema (fluid retention) watch for excessive weight gain
- Weight loss
- Cardiac enlargement
- Anorexia (i.e. not eating)
- Skin and coat changes
- Pain on injection
- Percorten side effects can also include injection site abscess
Prednisone Side Effects and Florinef (fludrocortisone acetate) Side Effects
These drugs have similar side effects (Florinef has glucocorticoid properties and acts like prednisone). These include:
- Loss of hair
- Muscle atrophy (wasting)
- Urinating and drinking excessively
- Poor quality coat
- Frequent skin infections
- Thinning skin
- Other gastrointestinal upsets
- Excessive weight gain
- Diabetes mellitus
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Lipidemia (excess fat in the blood)
Unfortunately, the side effects of these drugs can mimic other disorders that are common in Addisonâ€™s disease (i.e. hypothyroidism) and even Addison’s disease itself, so it’s vitally important to have your pet’s blood checked for electrolyte imbalances and other disorders.
Barbara Forney, VMD. Prednisone for veterinary use.Wedgewood Pharmacy.
Mike Richards, DVM. Corticosteriod side effects. Vet Info
Novartis. Percorten-V product information. Novartis.